|SS Rotterdam II|
Photographer: John S. Johnston; Image courtesy of the Library of Congress, USA
This is a photograph of the SS Rotterdam II that Albert, Lydia, and Fred Elsner came to America on in 1887. She was built in 1878 by Harland & Wolff, Ltd., in Belfast, Ireland. She had an iron hull, weighed 3,329 tons and was 389' long and 37' wide. With a single-screw driven by compound engines, she was capable of 13 knots. She had four masts and one funnel, and was originally designed as a freighter for British Shipowners Company and named British Empire. She was later converted to a passenger carrier, able to carry 70 first class and 850 third class passengers. In 1886 she was sold to Holland America Line and renamed Rotterdam (II). Her first voyage from Rotterdam to New York was on November 6, 1886. In 1895 she was renamed Edam (III). She was scrapped in 1899 in Genoa, Italy.