Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday's Obituary - Erich J B Richter 1854-1939

  Today's obituary contains new information about Erich Richter which started me searching for confirmation on the things I had not known before.  Here is the obit:


             RICHTER
Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette April 25, 1939, pg. 2
  "E. J. Richter, 85, once a tavern
owner in Fort Wayne and later a
member of the police force here, died
yesterday at his home in Napoleon,
O., of senility.  He had been ill for
three years.
  Mr. Richter was born in Germany
but came to the United States when
a young man.  He was here until 1894
when he moved to Napoleon, where
he had lived since.  In Ohio he was
engaged in the restaurant and hotel
businesses.
  Survivors include the widow, Mrs.
Ida Richter; one son, Walter of
Milwaukee, Wis; three daughters,
Mrs. Bertha Huston, Napoleon, Meta,
River Rouge, Mich.; 10 grandchil-
dren, and a sister, Mrs. Zella Gawehn
Elsner, Fort Wayne."

  What I did not know was that he was a tavern owner and a member of the police force in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and that he had been in the restaurant and hotel business in Ohio.  In my research, all I had ever seen was that he was a painter or sign painter.  Sign painter/painter was on all the censuses and even his death certificate.

  Of course I have already begun digging around trying to find out about his other occupations.  (This is the fun part for me!)  I think I have already found proof of him being a police officer but nothing yet about restaurants, taverns or hotels.  But, I will keep digging and I will post my findings in a couple of days.

No comments: